Saturday, July 12, 2008

Eugene, OR to Las Vegas, NV

So, after getting about four hours of sleep in a hotel in Eugene, OR, I prepared to plot out the trip to Las Vegas. I already had a room reserved for Monday night, so it was imperative that I get there by the end of the day. Due to the recent controversy with the car's GPS, I asked google maps how long it would take. Google maps said about twenty something hours. Google maps also told me I should just drive all the way down to L.A. and then hop over. Clearly this was unacceptable. I can't stand Los Angeles. I'm not getting anywhere near that fucking place if I can help it. This was not acceptable.

I then posed the same query to the in-car GPS. HALLELUJAH! Only 18 hours! I assured the GPS that all its past sins were forgiven. It was time to move on with our new life together.

During the drive, I also come to a startling conclusion: I don't give a fuck about speed limits. I'm out in the middle of nowhere, I'd see a cop miles away before they pulled me over, and I had places to go. Later, the GPS would confirm that my average speed during the trip was 90 mph.

I did have one detour to make: Crater Lake. I found it by accident, another gift from the GPS. As you can see, it's beautiful.







For those of you who don't know, Crater Lake is essentially a lake in the middle of a mountain that used to be a volcano that literally blew itself up. Elevaton: Too many.

En route to Crater Lake, I re-encountered the same phenomenon from Yellowstone: winding roads that end in a drop off of thousands of feet and no guardrail. At one point, I was driving up there and chanced a look to my right and saw a cloud underneath me.

THAT IS NOT OKAY.

Note to the Federal Parks Service: I will pay extra if you would just put up some kind of fucking guardrail between me and certain death. Seriously people, get on it.

After Crater Lake, I drove through the rest of Oregon, cut through northern California, and then south through the middle of Nevada. That was a great drive. Good desert vistas, a flat highway, and I was able to top out the throttle of the car.

At about 11:30, I arrived in Las Vegas, and prepared for some serious fun. Right after I collapsed in the hotel room.

No comments: