Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Laramie

Made it into Laramie at about 8:45pm. Drove down I-70 through western Kansas while listening to In Cold Blood, which was definitely a creepy experience. Mix CD #2 crapped out on me, which was extremely disappointing. But, driving from Ft. Collins to Laramie, I took this winding highway road through the mountains which was beautiful. I didn't think it was the quickest route, but that's what the Death Machine's GPS said. I think the GPS just wanted to show me a prettier road. I feel that we have become closer, the GPS and I. Maybe it'll be like a TiVO, but for roads. It will get to know what I like and start taking me places that, while technically I didn't ask it to, I will nontheless enjoy. However, I hope it doesn't take me to Cheyenne, because I hear that place is a fucking hole.

I forgot to factor in the time zone changes into my trip, so it should make it easier going west and harder going east. The elevation here is like 7,700 feet above sea level, and I am definitely feeling it. Had a headache pretty much all night last night.

Stayed with my friend Ashleigh. Here she is after the following exchange took place:

Me: Let me get a picture of you.
Her: Should I take off my glasses?
Me: *Pause.* Yes.
Her: *Laughter*
Me: *Click*

Here is a shot of downtown Laramie. For those of you old enough to remember, this is where the Matthew Shepard tragedy occurred. It is definitely cow country.


We had dinner then went to a bar with (and I swear to God this is true) a bullet hole in the mirror behind the bar. It also had a two-headed moose, along with other taxidermical wonders hanging on the walls. I tried to get some pictures, but they didn't come out so well.

I am sitting outside a little coffeeshop in downtown Laramie now, about to head to Yellowstone. Hope everyone is well.

No comments: